At Wangari Maathai International School, we pride ourselves on cultivating a home-school connection that benefits our students and helps them learn and grow. We respect the individual talents and rich experiences that our teachers and parents bring to the table, and strive to find positive ways to weave these into a joyful school experience for our children.
We see ourselves as a diverse, engaged school community and would like to actively collaborate with you. Here's how you can get involved at our school and enrich the learning culture at WMIS.
Engage in the class community
- Attend parent nights and take the opportunity to network with other parents
- Take advantage of parent-teacher conferences to talk with the teaching/educational team about your child's development
- Pay 20 euros into the class kitty every six months, e.g. for joint excursions and activities for the class
- Become a parent representative or deputy for your class
At the first parents' evening, the parents of each class elect two parent representatives (ideally one German-speaking and one English-speaking) as well as up to two deputies for the parents' association (GEV). The parent representatives and their deputies work together with the teachers and the social pedagogical team on different projects and topics and represent the parents of the class in the school community.
Engage in the school community
- Reading aloud once a year on the nationwide reading aloud day
- come to the class as a reading mentor (e.g. read regularly with individual children)
- tell the children as an expert (e.g. about your profession, religion etc...)
- as a companion for excursions
- Work in the GEV as an elected parent representative or deputy.
- Get involved in the school conference as an elected parent representative or deputy parent representative.
- Be in solidarity and contribute 100 euros to the education budget!
From the Education Budget we pay for instruction-related school materials and equipment. Parents do not purchase notebooks and books. Reusable books are stored in the library or come back for use the following year. Licenses for learning platforms such as Seesaw, Anton, Twinkl and Antolin are also financed.
- Become a member of our support association „Friends of WMIS e.V.“
- Support the Förderverein with a one-time donation.
As a member of Friends of WMIS Association you can directly support school life with your experience and possibilities. With your annual contributions or donations you support projects, the purchase of materials, the organization of excursions...
- Support a parent group or committee.
Parents volunteer in different parent groups (library, communication, school garden...), which meet irregularly and try to support the school. For the latest information about the working groups, please contact the parent representatives.
- Visit, support or co-organize the weekly Parent Cafe to exchange with other parents (currently Thursdays 8:00-9:00)